Steven J. Pynes is the principal in charge of the labor and employment law department at Ferris & Britton. He is also a member of the litigation department and has achieved an enviable success record for employers. He has been actively involved for many years teaching employment law seminars for various management organizations, including The Council on Education in Management, Lorman, and the Employer's Group.
- Obtained favorable settlement for a national computer retailer in a wrongful termination action by a former executive
- Obtained judgment in a wage claim trial de novo (new trial) for an Internet service provider against its former president
- Advised and drafted executive employment and severance agreements, preventing costly disputes
- Reviewed and revised employee handbooks and policies for compliance with California and federal employment law, averting claims and litigation
- Assisted employers with compliance under federal and state wage and hour laws, avoiding penalties
Steven J. Pynes received his undergraduate degree with honors from Brigham Young University and his law degree from St. Louis University. He is also a graduate of the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
He is a member of the American Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section and the San Diego County Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section. He is admitted to practice in all California courts as well as the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and the Central Districts of California. He is also admitted to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Steve and his wife, Susan, have three sons. The family resides in Carlsbad. He enjoys sailing and hiking.